Austria may not be the first place you think of when planning a summer holiday, but as you’re about to see, that’s most definitely a mistake. Often associated with snow, mulled wine and Christmas markets, the country tends to fall off the holiday radar for most in summer, with the exception perhaps of avid hikers looking for their next mountain hit or city breakers heading to Salzburg. All the more swimming room for you then. Just a hop, skip and a jump away from Salzburg is the mountainous and lake-filled Salzkammergut region – with 76 lakes in total, to be exact. Summers in the region tend to be reliable, so if heading in July and August you can look forward to temperatures in the high 20s to low 30s and lots of refreshing water to cool off in (and yes, a lot of refreshing beer too). Here are my 10 reasons you should be heading there this summer:
1. WATER SO CRYSTAL CLEAR THE LIGHT DANCING ON ITS SURFACE ALMOST HURTS YOUR EYES (AND IT’S DRINKING QUALITY TOO)
2. VIEWS LIKE THIS.
3. THERE’S SO MANY LAKES TO CHOOSE FROM, THE LAKE #FOMO STRUGGLE WILL BECOME REAL
4. BECAUSE YOU’RE LITERALLY IN THE MOUNTAINS. I MEAN, LIKE LITERALLY
5. IT’S ONLY 30 MINUTES FROM SALZBURG BUT FEELS LIKE A WORLD AWAY, A WORLD WHICH YOU HAVE ALL TO YOURSELF
6. THERE ARE MORE CUTE LAKE TOWNS THAN YOU CAN SHAKE A (SELFIE) STICK AT
7. LAKE SPAS HOTELS WITH THEIR OWN JETTIES ARE A BIG THING (AND YES, THEY ARE AWESOME)
8. YOU CAN HIKE IN THE MORNING AND SWIM IN THE AFTERNOON, ALL IN ONE PLACE
9. YOU CAN HIRE A KAYAK AND PADDLE OUT INTO A LAKE LIKE THIS ONE. YES, FOR REAL.
10. STAY A LITTLE LONGER AND PASS YOUR LAKE SAILING LICENCE (YES IT’S A THING)